Monday, September 10, 2012

Administration Support

Substitute teaching is fraught with peril.  Every so often, you will get a school/students that would test the patience of even Mother Theresa.

That is why I devote this post to the administrators who support substitute teachers.

A recent teaching assignment brought me to a school reputed as difficult for substitute teachers.  While I had negative experiences in the past, this most recent was AMAZING!  The principal and vice-principal took turns stopping in to each of my class periods.  They would check in with me through eye-contact or a brief conversation, then walk around to see what the students were up to.

Now..  I know what you are going to say...  "I don't want them in MY class..." you say.

I do...

If they want to come - let 'em.  First of all...  It isn't YOUR class.  It is THEIR SCHOOL.  They know the students better than the substitute teacher, and they are there to make sure that you CAN do your job!  They will provide support and help, and they will back you up when you need it.  Furthermore, because the students are familiar with them, they can remind the students about appropriate behavior and expectations.

Even better than that..  they can observe your teaching and offer you helpful hints, comments, and maybe even a bit of praise!  For a substitute teacher, evaluations don't happen often, so take the opportunity to perfect your craft!

An added bonus that day - an instructional coach stopped by to check on one of the class periods.  She observed the beginning of my lesson, and the students interactions with me.  While her presence was brought about because the students had given the substitute teacher the day before a rough time, she did not stay more than 10 minutes, telling me on her way out that I had "good energy, a positive attitude and great interaction with the students."  It made my whole day!
.
Appreciate the administrators!  They are there to help you, just as you are there to help them!

No comments:

Post a Comment