Tuesday, September 11, 2012

What's on the board?

Today's post is pretty basic.

It describes the importance of posting expectations where students can see, and positively respond, to them.

The teacher for whom I filled in wrote the assignments, objectives, agenda, everything on the board.  When the students asked for what was next, all I had to do was point.  GREAT THINGS!

Even when I changed the schedule, it was still visible, and the students adjusted smoothly.

One of my favorite activities as a sub is "work time".  Basically, I write all of their assignments up on the board, and then work with individuals or small groups while the other students go through the list.  In my experience, this has been a very positive way to get things turned in, and to teach students about "real-world life."  It isn't often that we are given just one task to complete.  Often, we are taught that we must do several things.  Prioritizing, and then following the list is a key procedure many don't know.  I love teaching this simple skill, or reinforcing this simple skill, when I guest teach!


No comments:

Post a Comment